Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Highlights of 2011

2011 was one of the best years of my life.  I've completely grown in every aspect of my life from coaching to my internal relationship with myself.  I feel more confident, happy, and fortunate than ever before. Below are some of the major highlights that I wanted to share because researching or taking part in these will only benefit you. 

1.  Brain Highways
This hands down was and still is the most interesting program I've ever come across.  I was fortunate enough to join their team and be apart of something truly special.  This program is years ahead of its time looking at neuroplasticity and brain reorganization.  The brain can most certainly change. Do yourself a favor and just go through the website. 

2. Dr. Rintala and DNS
A close second has been learning about Dynamic Neuromuscular Stablization (DNS) from Dr. Mike Rintala.  I came across DNS through some contacts and Dr. Rintala happened to be located 5 minutes from my house.  Since I am not a physical therapist, ATC, or chiropractor I am not allowed to practice DNS, but being aware of developmental kinesiology and it's role in movement has been an eye opener.  Seeing the changes and improvements with myself and a couple of athletes has been jaw dropping.  It is a first cousin of Brain Highways in my opinion.

3. Seattle Sounders Mentorship
I met some "wicked smhaaaat" people at this event.  Dave Tenney and his old sidekick, Jordan Webb, did an outstanding job bringing in some of the brightest coaches, nutritionists, and researchers around for a weekend that made me realize I will never have time to learn enough.  Along with Tenney and Webb, speakers Patrick Ward, Joel Jameison, Darcy Norman, Tim Monaco, and Michael Orendurff provided some outstanding insight into energy systems, sports specific training, and stress.  These events also leave you with some great friendships and contacts.  I'm sure Dave is putting it on again this year, so sign up.

4.  Long Beach Perform Better Summit-
As always Perform Better puts on a great educational event.  Read about my favorite presenters here.  More than anything you get to make more contacts and I personally enjoyed meeting the attendees that I know through strengthcoach.com and Facebook.

5. Working out with Dan John
Dan John is a mix of Rodney Dangerfield and Obi-Wan Kenobi, entertaining and so very wise.   He's been coaching for 20+ years and still has the passion of an intern.  The best part is I email him out of the blue, he has no idea who I am, and invited me to workout with him the next morning.  Kind of a good guy..... 

6. Connecting with some great minds....
This year I had the chance to meet or talk on the phone with Brian McCormick, Charlie Weingroff, Chris Dubois, Dewey Neilson, Elsbeth Vaino, Tim Vagen, Dave Jack, Jeremy Frisch, Anthony Renna, Lee Taft, all the attendees at Sounders FC mentorship, Ray Lokar, and probably a handful of others.  One of my favorite characteristics of our industry is that the great coaches do nothing but help younger coaches like myself.  They make time to email, call or meet even when their schedules are packed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment