I recently was turned to a video on Youtube called Sugar: The Bitter Truth. Dr. Robert Lustig, from UCSF, talks about the truth and dangers of sugars, especially frustose. As everyone knows obesity and weight has plagued our country and now world for the past 30 years or so. Coincidentally High Fructose Corn Syrup was introduced to the United States in 1975. It is a very cheap substance and if you ever look at lables it is in EVERYTHING!
Beyond all the biochemistry and reactions, it makes food taste good but is a chronic hypotoxin that creates many of the same diseases we see in alcoholics. Including hypertension, heart disease, liver failure, pancreatitis, etc etc. It gives your brain the feeling of starvation while you have ingetsed plenty of calories to create a full feeling. You then ingest more cause an excess of calories that mostly go to fat. This constant cycle can't be erased by just excercise. The worst part is that it is an addiction that is very hard to break, similar to alcoholics. We just don't see it in the short term.
Dr. Lustig tells about the reasons HFCS has infiltrated our food at such a high rate. 1. It tastes good.
2. Nixon wanted to win an election in 1972 and was worried about fluctuating food prices. So he made them all cheap.
3. HFCS is CHEAP! It causes the average American ot now consume 141 lbs of sugar/year.
3. The popular Low Fat Diet in 1982, made food taste bad. Instead they substituted it with HFCS. Hmmmm..... low fat yet we all got fatter since.
He goes on an on about this in detail and I suggest you watch it (link below), or watch fellow SDSU grad Sean Croxton's summary on Underground Wellness channel.
But i'll give you a review on things you can do to become a healthier person and limit sugars.
1. Get rid of all sugar drinks.... so you pretty much have water and milk (and tea's).
2. Eat carbohydrates with fiber. Sweet potatoes, fruit, whole grains, vegetables.
3. Wait 20 minutes before you 2nd helping. The "full" feeling sometimes takes a while.
4. For kids, and in my opinion now adults., "Buy Screen Time." I love this method that you must be active for an hour for every hour you get to watch tv and you must pay in advance.
Please watch the video and get sugar out of your diet! Spread the word!
Sugar: The Bitter Truth
Theres also a article over to the right about sugars in my favorite Links. READ IT!